Timeline of our History
St. Matthias Episcopal Church, Athens, Texas, was founded in 1946. The first service was conducted on February 24 of that year. In the church calendar, this date is the feast of St. Matthias, the Apostle so the new church was given his name. The first church building, originally a WWII era army base chapel from Camp Fannin in Tyler, TX. It was erected on the corner of Mission and Loyola in Athens in 1947.
The education building was dedicated to the glory of God in 1993.
The present church was renovated in 2019.
St. Matthias offers traditional Anglican worship and orthodox Christian teaching in the Catholic tradition. It does all of this amid a friendly family atmosphere welcoming all who come with the love of Christ.
The present church was dedicated in 1972.